Counselling & PsychotherapyPossibilities for Change is a private practice that values you and your journey
Possibilities for Change is a Counselling and Psychotherapy practice in Glen Iris in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. We provide a respectful and safe environment offering individual counselling, group work and supervision.
What is Counselling?
Counselling, psychotherapy and perhaps the more generic word ‘therapy’ uses an interpersonal relationship to help develop a client’s understanding of themselves. Armed with this knowledge, the client will be able to make changes in his or her life.
Some key points about therapy:
- Therapy usually takes place on a one-to-one basis, in couples or may be done in group settings
- The client is able to choose a therapist and therapy style which is best suited to their particular situation – please do not settle for someone you don’t feel safe or comfortable with, even if you have been recommended to that person – there will be a right fit for you
- The relationship between the therapist and the person is crucial for any therapeutic work to take place. I strongly encourage you to find the person you have trust in, both from a safety perspective as well as the way they work.
- The therapy process involves a ‘getting to know you’ period just like any new relationship
- A therapist and client will normally sit with one another for an hour focusing on what the client brings to the session
- The therapist and client play an equal role in the therapy process. There is no ‘expert’ in a therapy relationship although the counsellor does have solid training which helps them to see or identify things the client may not see for themselves
- Everything that happens in therapy is confidential, except if necessary for your own safety or where another person’s safety is at risk
Heather welcomes you to book a free 20-minute phone consultation for you to gauge whether she might be someone you want to see.
Possibilities for Change acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the traditional owners of this nation. We pay our respects to ancestors and Elders, past, present and future.
We also welcome people from the LGBTI community.
For more information, to ask a question or to book an appointment